MASSIVE COPPER ALOY
- PKS gardening tools enrich the soils with coppertrace elements and thereby provide plants with essential nutrients.
- The design of PKS garden tools makes them especially light and effortless to use.
- They have sharp edge.
- Stay free of rust (or develop verdigris)* – but age with a graceful bronze patina, perfect for the coastal gardener.
- They have an incomparably longer lifespan than devices from iron.
- Minute amounts of copper create the conditions for beneficial micro-organisms.
- Penetrate the soil easily -low coefficient of friction- less tendency for clay to cling to the tool.
- Bronze is not magnetic – so does not disrupt the electrical fields in the soil.
- Can be kept sharp with a whetstone, file or by peening (hammering the edge against a steel anvil).
- They are hardwearing and will last for years.
- They are a pleasure to own and use.
PKS copper gardening tools are ideal for use in vegetable and flower gardens, raised flower beds, in vineyards and orchards, parks and open space areas. They combine functionality and elegance with especially advantageous material properties for gardening. In contrast with iron and steel, the most common metals used to produce garden tools, copper has a beneficial effect on the soil’s water retention capacity, thereby contributing to the quality of the soil and its produce.
The tools are not suitable for cultivating pristine terrain, for clearing trees, bushes and root systems or for use on very stony soils.
Care of Your Tools
- It is advisable to avoid prolonged direct exposure to sunlight and always keep the wooden handle dry.
- The tools do not require cleaning. Hand-made products are subject to natural quality variations. For this reason, should you have reason for complaint, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Implements made from copper alloy treated in this manner are malleable and can be far more easily bent back into shape, reworked and sharpened compared to similar tools made of iron and there is no danger of breaking.
- It is important to avoid contact with chemicals containing acetic acid. This will cause the formation of verdigris which is poisonous. Patina or Verdigris
If you are satisfied with our tools we hope you will recommend us to others.
STORAGE: Preferably do not overwinter in heated rooms! The stems dry out too much and can become loose.
Handcraft with tradition, since 1996
An Austrian coppersmith began producing the copper tools by hand.
He uses bronze, a copper-tin-alloy with a copper content of more than 92 %.
The bronze is cold-hardened to gain the necessary hardness of the material.
The tools pass through seven steps during production: cutting, beating, soldering, welding, sanding, polishing and fitting of the handles. An artisan turner makes the handles from European ash, beech or lime.
Copper tools are suitable for daily work in cultivated garden soils. Copper is an elastic material and will not break even under considerable stress.
Deformations can be easily beaten out.
These high-value tools are produced and distributed by people who are consciously contributing to an ecological improvement of the soil.
In this consciousness the gardener can use PKS Bronze tools for many years.
Although they may look like works of art, these are hardworking tools, designed for strength not looks. So the brazing is less smooth and there may be marks on the blade which will not detract from the working of the tool.
To clean copper